Ouya Controller vs 360 Controller

The_CraigThe_Craig Posts: 89Member
So I've been developing my game all along with the Ouya controller, it feels sluggish, unresponsive, drifts quite frequently but I didn't have much choice to accept it.

However, I just tried with a 360 controller and it feels an order of magnitude better. Do I just have duff dev controllers? (Both of them are the same) and will the final version have better responsiveness?

Comments

• invicticideinvicticide Posts: 17Member
    Yeah, I've been investigating this problem last night and this morning. My 360 controller feels great, but my OUYA controllers have several problems, most obviously exhibited by rotating either stick in a slow, complete circle at full extension:

- Internal (hardware?) dead zone, which is *enormous* and which I don't seem to have the ability to affect. It's applied weirdly too, so as you approach the cardinal directions you'll feel a "snap" and lose several degrees of precision.
    - General lack of precision. Sweeping a very slow circle reveals very jittery results. It feels like it's quantizing the input angle to some interval.
    - Holding the stick diagonally, if you hit just the right angle, it's oscillate wildly within about a 30-degree arc around the diagonal.

I'm using the Unity package, and I've been searching for software issues I can either fix, work around, or filter for, and I've come up empty. At the point where input data is first handed to the plugin, it's already fubar. :(

My conclusion, unfortunately, is that these controllers are disappointingly awful.
  • ShielsShiels Posts: 119Member
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, I've been investigating this problem last night and this morning. My 360 controller feels great, but my OUYA controllers have several problems, most obviously exhibited by rotating either stick in a slow, complete circle at full extension:

- Internal (hardware?) dead zone, which is *enormous* and which I don't seem to have the ability to affect. It's applied weirdly too, so as you approach the cardinal directions you'll feel a "snap" and lose several degrees of precision.
    - General lack of precision. Sweeping a very slow circle reveals very jittery results. It feels like it's quantizing the input angle to some interval.
    - Holding the stick diagonally, if you hit just the right angle, it's oscillate wildly within about a 30-degree arc around the diagonal.

I'm using the Unity package, and I've been searching for software issues I can either fix, work around, or filter for, and I've come up empty. At the point where input data is first handed to the plugin, it's already fubar. :(

My conclusion, unfortunately, is that these controllers are disappointingly awful.
    Unfortunately I have to agree on the issue of the controller accuracy. We are working on our dual stick shooter and it is very noticeable. It feels as if there is a 30 degree level of accuracy when it should be 90-180 in a full circle.

I cannot stress enough to OUYA staff how badly this needs to be remedied. The controller either needs a firmware or hardware update to fix this or consumers are gonna bitch like hell.
    Post edited by Shiels on
  • WildsWilds Posts: 78Member
    I have the same feeling about the controller, If the retail controller is the same I will be very dissappointed. The 360 controller is awesome in feel it just hits the sweetspot!
  • JonAbramsJonAbrams Posts: 50Member, Administrator, Team OUYA
    We've improved the analog stick precision for retail controllers.
  • EvgizEvgiz Posts: 184Member
    I think most of the OUYA guys are gamers themselves, and they wouldn't ship with a bad controller.

If the controller sucks it might even destroy the OUYAs success. Im sure OUYA is doing the right thing! :D

I made the OUYA exclusive games Cube and Creature and Hellworm!
    evgiz.net

• Killa_MaakiKilla_Maaki Posts: 504Member
    JonAbrams said:
    Thank god. Wouldn't want terrible precision ruining the otherwise just about perfect game console.
    You didn't remember the plot of the Doctor Who movie because there was none; Just a bunch of plot holes strung together.
  • kiwicocokiwicoco Posts: 86Member
    JonAbrams said:
    Beautiful!!!!! I've been hoping to hear this since January!! =D

-Mau
  • PiersPiers Posts: 680Member, Administrator, Team OUYA
    We should make a documentary about the extraordinary lengths we've gone through to get the controller right :)
  • ShielsShiels Posts: 119Member
    One OUYA reviewer is complaining of the sticks feeling strange and inaccurate - was this problem really fixed properly?
  • PiersPiers Posts: 680Member, Administrator, Team OUYA
    It's fixed.  They most likely have a defective controller and should contact us for a replacement.
  • DoubleDraculaDoubleDracula Posts: 34Member
    Yes, the extraordinary lengths to get the controller right!  Good job doing something that Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo never do!
  • MommysBestGamesMommysBestGames Posts: 56Member
    Engadget has a story up today (April 3rd) about the whole console, and basically lists the controller as the worst part.
    If Team OUYA is working to fix this (which I believe they are) not only is there the issue of fixing the controllers themselves, there's also plenty of damage control needed in the press--which then filters down to gamers.
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/03/ouya-review-founding-backer-edition/

"Overall the controller is usable but it's far from great. Sticky buttons and gummy analog sticks are the sorts of things you wouldn't even tolerate on a cheap, third-party controller and so it's disappointing to find them here on the official unit."

-Nathan, MBG Twitter
    Check out Pig Eat Ball on Facebook!
    Oh crap, I think I got a defective one then =S

@Piers are you sure the old inaccurate Unity input isn't at fault for this issue?

Unfortunately I don't have an Xbox controller to test this... But it's pretty clear when playing Dub Wars that my right stick snaps to the horizontal and vertical axis and is generally choppy.

I've also had the O button get stuck on the plastic a couple of times, both in this controller and the one I was using at the launch party.

BUT aside from those two things I actually love the controller!
    Piers said:
    We should make a documentary about the extraordinary lengths we've gone through to get the controller right :)
    You should make documentaries about the whole development process actually! I'm sure a lot of us would pay a few bucks to see some of the process! :)
  • MacaberzMacaberz Posts: 2Member
    I love the idea behind OUYA and I am very excited to start developing for it. However, these issues really need to be adressed heavily. I am genuinely concerned for how well the OUYA will do if these controllers remain the way they are.

I am confident the team has put alot of effort into them already but like most others here, I can't stress enough how vital it is that all the mentioned issues are adressed and resolved. Software updates, patches, fixes these can all be done later, replacing a controller however is virtually impossible.

So please, please, please team OUYA, take a deep breath and go at this thing one last time to make it perfect! I know you can do it :D
  • OrikuOriku Posts: 263Member
    edited April 2013
    I also found that the physical depth of the buttons are causing input lag. IE, you have to push the buttons very far down for it to register a push. This may not sound like it would be much, but its actually very noticeable when you compare vs another controller. Unfortunately I have no idea if this is fixed in the final controller or not. 
    Post edited by Oriku on
    edited April 2013
    Here is an interesting comparison of the PS3 controller vs a 360 controller in the same game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eocODP04UBQ

Now this doesn't mean that the PS3 version of the game doesn't for some reason have an additional frame of lag for some other reason, but it might have something to do with the controller. Would be interesting to see this same test on an android where both controllers can be compared with the same game with guaranteed exactly same code.
    Post edited by Oriku on
  • omnibellomnibell Posts: 6Member
    We have also had the same issue. Hope they fix this issue before official release. (Maybe a system patch to increase controller update speed?)
  • invicticideinvicticide Posts: 17Member
    It feels like it's been forever since I last checked in here... :o

I got my hands on a retail controller and I'm happy to report the accuracy issues are *greatly* reduced. It's still not as silky-smooth as a 360 controller, but the difference is barely perceptible now.

Unfortunately, there does still seem to be an axial dead zone either buried somewhere in the ODK, or in the hardware itself. :(
  • maxdbmaxdb Posts: 10Member
    Hey guys,

I thought we were the only ones who had this trouble but good to know OUYA is fixing this issue. 'invicticde' where did you get a hold of retail controller? 
  • maxdbmaxdb Posts: 10Member
    Does anyone know where I can buy a retail OUYA controller? Or would it be okay to develop using a 360 controller? or would it not work the same? 
  • justinbillerjustinbiller Posts: 1Member
    Just wanted to add, the OnLive Universal Wireless Controller also feels smoother than the OUYA controller and works fine, both wired and over bluetooth.  Doesn't appear to work in games I grab off the OUYA store, but even navigating menus feels much faster.
  • Killa_MaakiKilla_Maaki Posts: 504Member
    invicticide said:
    I got my hands on a retail controller and I'm happy to report the accuracy issues are *greatly* reduced. It's still not as silky-smooth as a 360 controller, but the difference is barely perceptible now.
    Yep, apparently the OUYA team mentioned an issue with glue seeping out during manufacturing that basically screwed up the potentiometer readings.. supposedly it's been fixed now.
    You didn't remember the plot of the Doctor Who movie because there was none; Just a bunch of plot holes strung together.
    edited May 2013
    I took a screenshot of the controller output.  It's very segmented.  I've tried both the dev controller and the final hardware, they both look pretty much the same.

Post edited by Oriku on
  • KrollWareLLCKrollWareLLC Posts: 3Member
    Piers said:
    That would actually be a pretty cool idea - I'd be interested in watching it!
    Cory Kroll
    KrollWare LLC
    cory@krollware.com