Gamepad to touchscreen mapping - play (almost) any existing Android game

Hello,
I was just thinking - there are many games already available on the Android and it seems that they could technically run on OUYA, but there would be no way to control them, since it lacks touch screen.

So I got an idea for a possible solution, that would make at least some (maybe I exagerrated a bit in the title ^^') existing Android games playable without having to port them - by mapping the controller to specific areas and simulating touches.

The simplest scenario is with games which are controlled by virtual d-pads and buttons - simple buttons are easy - assign each button on the controller to specific spot, where will be a touch simulated, when the button is pressed.

With analog directional stick, you can do similar thing - simulate continuous touch, which will be displaced from the center of the virtual movement stick by the current magnitude and direction of the gamepad's analog stick - the same way you displace it with your fingers when playing on the screen.

What would be a bit more complex are games that have additional ways of controls, like the Minecraft PE, so the mapping would require more work (the virtual buttons would work the same, but what would need to be solved is the camera rotation and block placing.

Of course, some games would be entirely impractical and unplayable with the game-pad, like the Fruit Ninja for example. You could emulate the touches as some virtual cursor, but I doubt it would work very well.

So the generic form of this idea would be some kind of service running in the background, capable of emulating touches based on the controller data, based on some configuration data (or simple scripts) made for each specific game and the goal would be of course to make the configuration for the games as simple as possible - as little work as possible.

What do you think? Would you like something like this?

I would probably try to do it myself, but I won't have the OUYA until April, so maybe somebody else will do it by then.

Comments

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 768Member
    Since there won't be access to the Google Play store that would have these games, I don't think it would be very useful, except for people hacking the system.
  • Killa_MaakiKilla_Maaki Posts: 504Member
    Yep, probably 90% of people will be using the thing as-is downloading games direct from the OUYA store, so this wouldn't be very useful imho
    You didn't remember the plot of the Doctor Who movie because there was none; Just a bunch of plot holes strung together.
  • mwiththeatmwiththeat Posts: 2Member
    You mean like this?
  • BuddyBuddy Posts: 152Member, Administrator, Team OUYA
    Don't forget that the OUYA controller has a built-in touchpad to help with things like this...
  • nicknick Posts: 182Member, Administrator, Team OUYA
    I've seen the same sort of zoning functionality with the Sixaxis Android app for PS3 controllers. Comes in handy on a phone or tablet, but probably won't be as useful here.
    Yeah, 99% of the time players are going to be directly downloading from the OUYA store instead of side-loading other kinds of Android apps.
    You didn't remember the plot of the Doctor Who movie because there was none; Just a bunch of plot holes strung together.
  • FrooxiusFrooxius Posts: 29Member

You mean like this?

Yeah, like that. Plus support for the analog stick and some more advanced features for other controls (like I mentioned) in addition to that.
    Buddy said:

Don't forget that the OUYA controller has a built-in touchpad to help with things like this...

I seriously doubt it would be any use at all for this. First of all, it's a touchpad not a touch display, so you won't know where exactly to press it to press a specific button and it's also too small for multiple fingers to fit in and press more buttons at once. I think it's not even multitouch, but I don't have the console to test.

Yeah, 99% of the time players are going to be directly downloading from the OUYA store instead of side-loading other kinds of Android apps.

So what? OUYA is marketed as hackable and this could be a nice hack to get various existing games made for Android to work on it. I would say that 99 % of players won't be interested in the hackability of the OUYA either, yet it's there.

• BalbiBalbi Posts: 198Member
    If people want this feature then someone can make it for them. I don't think Boxer8 should waste any time or resources on doing this.
    Lead Developer of Leroux
  • HicsyHicsy Posts: 177Member
    yep this ^^
     This is a market opportunity for someone to make (the sixaxis mapper is very popular on Android). Boxer8 definitely should do it, but that said: OP was suggesting it as a dev idea @Balbi, not native.
    Can't find aapt.exe? Temp fix: Copy another one from 'android_sdk/build-tools/17.0.0' back to your 'platform-tools'
           -=Hicsy=-
    PM me        Facebook

• Bobmac2020Bobmac2020 Posts: 1Member
    This is basically a deal breaker for me, I have been interested In Ouya since it was on kickstarter along with game stick and it looks like archos are going to beat them both with the archos tv connect. I need to be able to map the controller to any game like the archos gamepad or I will just buy the archos tv connect as this is going to have the above mapping tool too. I was very interested in ouya because if it's grunt..souped up Tegra 3, and I liked the look of the controller but without EASY mapping tool like archos I'm out. I don't like the look of the archos controller but I'd it can map to any game I might be able to live with it. Just hope Ouya take this on board as I know a lot of people feel the same way.
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 768Member
    Then you should probably get that one, the OUYA is a game console, not an Android phone with a controller.  It won't have access to the Google Play store, so there's no need for this functionality, every game released in the OUYA app store will work with OUYA controls.
    See, I don't get this...
    Nobody ever said OUYA would be able to play anything on Google Play. In fact, the Kickstarter page said the exact opposite - that it would have it's own dedicated marketplace with games GUARANTEED to work with the controller with zero setup. And yet, I see many people complaining about this, that they backed it and THEN discovered that it doesn't use Google Play or have native support for it.
    It has it's own marketplace, why should OUYA Inc waste any time or resources on supporting a different app store that OUYA was never designed to handle from the get-go? The answer is they should not.