Windows 7 USB Drivers

AyrikAyrik Posts: 429Member
Windows won't install USB drivers for the OUYA, and ADB doesn't recognize my device. Are there some drivers I need to download?
Saga Heroes - Adventure RPG
image image

Comments

• pixjuegospixjuegos Posts: 73Member
    Maybe I'm wrong, but the ADB interface is meant to be used with Google USB driver.

You could try to install Nexus 7 driver though:
    http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=es-es&m=Nexus+7&p=28&s=2

As it is also based on Tegra 3 it may have the same hardware id, or a compatible one.
  • AyrikAyrik Posts: 429Member
    I have the Google USB driver installed, but Windows says it can't find the USB device driver for 'cardhu' as it calls it. I've tried manually searching for the drivers in the android sdk folder, but it just doesn't work.
    image image
    What is its hardware id? You may find it in its properties, in the Device Manager. It's something like USB\VID_????&PID_????
    USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&REV_0232&MI_01
    image image
    I've added that info to standard google USB drivers' INF file :)
    http://www.pixjuegos.com/descargas/usb_driver_ouya.zip
    Wow, thanks. So, I think I got it working by going to device manager, right-clicking cardhu and updating the driver manually, choosing from a list, selecting "show all", then clicking "have disk" and navigating to that INF.

I haven't had to do anything like that since Windows 98! It appears to be working, but I didn't know whether to select ADB Device or Composite ADB Device.
    image image
    You're welcome. I had this problem with other android devices already :)
    Because of the &MI_01 at the end, I think you have to select ADB Composite.
  • totallyeviltotallyevil Posts: 10Member
    Thanks pixjuegos for your zip file. I used it to connect our Ouya to a Win 7 Ultimate dev desktop. I selected the "ADB Composite" device option, as you are presented with 3 choices in the windows driver selection window.
  • LeMatLeMat Posts: 11Member
    Worked like a charm Pix, thanks for the help making the file, and thanks to Ayrik for giving the perfect setup instructions. For some reason, Windows didn't want to recognize the driver until I went into it manually.
  • MuffinsparticusMuffinsparticus Posts: 9Member
    Hey guys,

I was just directed here from the Unity thread, http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/25/all-in-one-unity-odk-discussion#latest, by tgraupmann. I've been trying to follow Ayrik's directions but when I get to the 'have disk' part I get the following message:

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

I am running on Windows 7 64-bit though.

Make sure you're choosing to select from a list manually and not using the search feature. It will then popup a dialog with a list of hardware types, and the top option is to show all, after that (before it's even done listing everything) all you have to do is press Have Disk and make sure you click on the INF file, not the folder.
    image image
    Unfortunately that's what i'm doing. =(

Now i'm backtracking here and ... this is going to be a really stupid question ... but if the Google USB driver was successfully installed on my laptop, it would appear in my device Manager window, right?
    I had the same problem. What you're missing is that there are actually 3 options on that first page. There's the option to use the web, and the option to select a location, and the text under that links to where Ayrik's instructions start. Hope that helps!
  • DasroDasro Posts: 2Member
    Thank you to both pixjuegos for the original file and Ayrik for the great instructions! I've never had this problem with any Android devices up to this point, and we've gone through several here. Works like a charm now.
    ---
    Dave Sroka
    Founder & CEO, Robot Factorial
  • Thanks you to pixjuegos and Ayrik for the plugins and the instructions :)
  • SpoonThumbSpoonThumb Posts: 426Member
    I went about it a slightly different way, which I can't exactly remember now, but the upshot was that I ended up having to pick the drivers from a list of devices I had drivers for (ZTE, HTC Nexus etc). In the end, I went for the generic "ADB Testing Device," which worked
    Everyone who thanked me, you're welcome :)

We've tested our games in many cheap and unknown tablets, which don't come with ADB drivers and Google ones won't work.

At least I will know how to solve it by myself when my OUYA comes in march :D
  • HashbangGamesHashbangGames Posts: 96Member
    Yeah Thanks Pixjuegos, Installed and working perfectly. Windows 7 64bit.
    Marco Williams
    Hashbang Games

Gravi is available on the OUYA look for it in the store!

Steam Greenlight Vote yes on Gravi
    Purchase our Gravi on Desura
    Desura Digital Distribution
    LeMat said:

I had the same problem. What you're missing is that there are actually 3 options on that first page. There's the option to use the web, and the option to select a location, and the text under that links to where Ayrik's instructions start. Hope that helps!

Hey LeMat,

Thank you for the response but I think we might be looking at two different windows. I'm going to upload snapshots of the whole process because I seem to be the odd duckling here, and what i'm doing sounds just like how Ayrik is describing it:

Below is the window that pops up when I select 'update driver'. The text underneath the second option is just a part of the button.

When I select 'Browse my computer for driver software' in the first window I'm taken to the window below: image

From there I select 'Let me pick a list' and i'm taken to the next window below:

I select have disk and go straight to the folder with the .inf file:

I double click on the .inf file and then I get slapped with the following message:
    My memory was a little fuzzy, and I collapsed the first and second screens together in my head. Unfortunately, my issue was just one of menu navigation so I really don't.have much to offer here. Sorry!
    You could try this, and see if it helps. In the device manager "uninstall" the Cardhu device. And it will disappear from the console. Unplug your Ouya and plug it back into the PC and let your computer re-detect it.

The one thing I noticed different about your screens and mine is that my computer ( win 7 64bit ) did not find any suitable driver and in my device manager I had "!" on my device.

Once your device shows back up in the device manager, try to repeat the steps above ( from the screen captures ).

If that doesn't work, you may have to repeat what I just said, but instead of letting windows auto-detect a driver, try to cancel that process somehow so that it doesn't try to assign some arbitrary generic driver.

Hope that helps.

Marco
    Marco Williams
    Hashbang Games

Hey guys,

Thank you very much for the responses.

I actually managed to get the driver installed. I did it by adding the following lines under the [Google.NTamd64] section in the .inf file.

;OUYA
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01

But ... as life would have it ... another issue has come up. My laptop is no longer detection the Ouya console at all. Cardhu is no longer available in windows Explorer or the Device manager, though it now appears as 'Android ADB Interface.' Also, the adb devices command from the android SDK is still not detecting any attached devices.

P.S. sorry for all of the images everyone ... but as they say, 'a picture is worth a thousand words!' ... and roughly 2MBs of data
    This is beyond my abilities. Please, OUYA, release some official drivers!
    image image
  • tgraupmanntgraupmann Posts: 2,642Administrator, Team OUYA
    try:
    adb kill-server
    adb devices
    ~Tim Graupmann
    OUYA Inc | Android Developer

http://github.com/ouya/docs
    http://github.com/ouya/ouya-sdk-examples

Check out the latest docs for your game engine: [setup] [adobe air] [android] [construct 2] [corona] [libGDX] [game maker] [html5] [marmalade] [monogame] [multimedia fusion 2] [unity]

Use caution when setting [persistent wireless mode].
    @Muffinsparticus: Try to manual update the driver to "USB Composite Device"
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 768Member
    Argh - I'm using Windows 8, and it doesn't like the .inf because it's been tampered with - "The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. This file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering"
    Not that this helps you Dreamwriter, but there is also another thread which talks about the hack that muffinsparticus has performed.
    http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/152/hack-to-access-ouya-from-windows

I have not tried it yet, and am still using the driver as composite, but i might give it a go later tonight.
    Marco Williams
    Hashbang Games

• SkyVuSkyVu Posts: 7Member
    Hey this is funny. I posted this fix earlier today here: http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/152/hack-to-access-ouya-from-windows

It seems like people have instructed you how to do this, however mine is a bit different, I think, in where to place the lines for your hardware device IDs. I put it under [Google.NTx86].

Anyways, sorry it's not working. Good luck!
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 768Member
    Aha, I had to disable the requirement for signed drivers, then install the driver, then re-enable the requirement again
    edited January 2013
    A wonderful idea just popped into my head! Would any kind soul, who has already been able to deploy their game to the Ouya console, be willing to post some snapshots of:

1. What their device manager looks like with the drivers properly installed (and some stats on the driver itself)?
    2. The command prompt when android development bundle (adb) is able to successfully detect the Ouya console?
    3. The command prompt as you're about the deploy your game to ouya?

I think this might help clear up some issues for everyone who is having trouble getting their drivers set up and whatnot.

P.S. I promise to send you pictures of tasty muffins in return.

Post edited by Muffinsparticus on