Ethernet stuttering issue

koyingkoying Posts: 44Member
Someone at XDA might have found a fix/workaround for the the ethernet issue on recent firmwares: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=44454045&postcount=2

As the XBMC on OUYA dev who's being bashed for stuttering vids with ethernet streaming, I'd be interested to know if it actually solves the issue ;)

Comments

• madmax2069madmax2069 Posts: 155Member
    edited August 2013
    Sad no official word about this, this needs fixed asap.

Its starting to get annoying in a bad way.

Its also sad that when people on the xda forums can whip up a fix in hours, while it takes the ouya team 2-3 weeks just to fix progress bars.

Post edited by madmax2069 on
  • nospamjlnospamjl Posts: 3Member
    Yes +1

It is is a major issue which is creating a lot of annoyed customers. 

If the fix really works it is simple and needs to be implemented ASAP. 

• koyingkoying Posts: 44Member
    If I can read between the lines, they use contractors for firmware development. That probably explains the slow progress on everything firmware related...
    That's an interesting observation which could explain a lot.  The lack of engagement with the community reminds me of why I moved from Apple products to Android many moons ago.  It is rather disappointing in the internet age to see technology and communication companies actually AVOID communicating with their customers on the internet.  Still I blame myself for not doing my research properly beforehand buying from a company that screamed OPEN and "community driven" which actually turns out to be effectively  CLOSEDin in in the small print.  Sigh. 
  • tb-killatb-killa Posts: 23Member
    koying said:
    Someone at XDA might have found a fix/workaround for the the ethernet issue on recent firmwares: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=44454045&postcount=2

As the XBMC on OUYA dev who's being bashed for stuttering vids with ethernet streaming, I'd be interested to know if it actually solves the issue ;)
    +1

• BuddyBuddy Posts: 168Member, Administrator, Team OUYA
    Thanks, we'll take a look at this!
    Hi Buddy,

Totally unrelated, but as we have your ear ;)

There is also a problem in the firmware related to playing interlaced video. Vertical "bands" appear when playing them. This is only relevant to XBMC on OUYA users, obviously.
    The funny fact is that the same vids are playing fine on the Nexus 7, which also has a Tegra 3...

If you want more info, you can contact me by email.
    Ouya doesn't really make sense as a streaming service, either. Sure, through side-loading you're given access to a collection of video services, but the low quality or stuttering playback makes it almost worthless. 

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/video-games/ouya-review-the-short-lived-revolution-15863120
    @koying: put the fix in, it'll be in the next release!
    Yeah, cool :)
    @koying: good news, we also fixed the interlaced video playback issue.

Cheers!
    Over-cool ;)
  • madmax2069madmax2069 Posts: 155Member
    Hopefully it doesn't break more then it fixes.
    Interlaced bug confirmed solved in latest firmware :)
    We'll see at usage if the Ethernet one is, too...
  • PiersPiers Posts: 680Member, Administrator, Team OUYA
    @all keep us posted on Ethernet stuttering with downloads/updates.  If anyone can provide me a logcat of this we'd greatly appreciate it.  PM me if you have one and then you can email it to me.  Thx.
  • ardjeardje Posts: 9Member
    Hmmm, I was doing a reinstall of vendetta online, because ethernet seemed ok, but after being at 60% the ouya froze. It was not even accessible through adb.
    What I noticed is that buffer_head in /proc/slabinfo has about 220k active entries out of 440k entries total. My ac100 (tegra 2 based netbook) has 286 active entries of 1357.
    My overloaded homeserver (running about 20 vservers) has 280k out of 363k.
    So there might be some leakage over there.
    And now I have to reset my ouya