How do i install android applications on the Ouya?

JCSJCS Posts: 11Member
Do applications have to be ported to work on the Ouya, or can I just install Android applications? If so how do i do it?

Comments

• SkyVuSkyVu Posts: 7Member
    There's some setup in the AndroidManifest.xml you'll have to do and you'll need the Ouya SDK in your application as well. To install/uninstall applications, you will need to use the Android Debug Bridge (ADB). The commands are:

adb install pathToAPKFileHere

adb uninstall applicationIdentifier

The application identifier is that com.mycompany.whatever that you set. I highly suggest you read the documentation here. It tells you how to do all this.

I hope I've helped

-MC
  • gribblygribbly Posts: 80Member
    Have you built/deployed the sample apps you get with the ODK? I think by the end of that you'll have all the answers you need:

https://devs.ouya.tv/developers/docs/setup

The iap-sample-app has a detailed README that walks you through how to do it (I was able to get it working with no prior Android experience).
  • epparddevepparddev Posts: 15Member
    JCS said:

Do applications have to be ported to work on the Ouya, or can I just install Android applications? If so how do i do it?

For now, you can install non-Ouya .apk files via adb. There is no need to mess with the AndroidManifest.xml for non-Ouya applications. I'm not sure how long the option will be available. I hope forever! When you have your device connect via adb just type 'adb install myAppName.apk'. These applications will not show up in the Games menu, but under Software in the Dev menu.

I'm watching Netflix on the Ouya right now. :)

Good luck!

• JCSJCS Posts: 11Member
    epparddev said:

JCS said:

For now, you can install non-Ouya .apk files via adb. There is no need to mess with the AndroidManifest.xml for non-Ouya applications. I'm not sure how long the option will be available. I hope forever! When you have your device connect via adb just type 'adb install myAppName.apk'. These applications will not show up in the Games menu, but under Software in the Dev menu.

I'm watching Netflix on the Ouya right now. :)

Good luck!

Thats sounds great. I'll have to try it. Would you mind making a guide for it? I am in the business end of it and not a programmer so It would be great to try it.
  • doubleyoudoubleyou Posts: 30Member
    edited January 2013
    JCS said:
    Thats sounds great. I'll have to try it. Would you mind making a guide for it? I am in the business end of it and not a programmer so It would be great to try it.
    As gribbly said the answers you need are here. Work through odk setup, and you will have the skills you need to load android apks. Basically, install the Android SDK, set PATH variables, and use adb to install apps from the command line. Keep in mind that due to the different input device and the plethora of Android hardware configurations; not all apps will run, or may deliver a sub-par experience without some work.

Good luck :)
    Post edited by doubleyou on

JCS said:
    For now, you can install non-Ouya .apk files via adb. There is no need to mess with the AndroidManifest.xml for non-Ouya applications. I'm not sure how long the option will be available. I hope forever! When you have your device connect via adb just type 'adb install myAppName.apk'. These applications will not show up in the Games menu, but under Software in the Dev menu. I'm watching Netflix on the Ouya right now. :) Good luck!
    No, I don't mind.  Started on a document this evening.  Going to have to call it quits for the night, though.  It should be up tomorrow, January 5th, sometime.
    edited January 2013
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0da8i99f0uru2ml/Installing Android Apps on OUYA.pdf

Understand that this guide, more than likely, contains errors.  I take no responsibility for any problems you encounter.  You assume full responsibility for the safe use of your device(s) in conjunction with this guide.  Good luck! :D

Feel free to share this pdf with anyone.  No attribution is required, but a link back to this thread might be helpful.  If you have any problems or corrections feel free to let me know.  I will try to keep the document updated as much as possible.  Check back with this thread for updates.
    Post edited by epparddev on
    Wow this looks legit. Thanks for this pro documentation.
  • alfredskedenalfredskeden Posts: 1Member

epparddev said:
    For now, you can install non-Ouya .apk files via adb. There is no need to mess with the AndroidManifest.xml for non-Ouya applications. I'm not sure how long the option will be available. I hope forever! When you have your device connect via adb just type 'adb install myAppName.apk'. These applications will not show up in the Games menu, but under Software in the Dev menu. I'm watching Netflix on the Ouya right now. :) Good luck!
    Hay :) New to forum.

Can you rewind and fastforward on netflix cant get that to work.
    Thanks for anserw, Loves that Almost every App work on ouya xD
  • BalbiBalbi Posts: 198Member
    Hehehe, I got my netflix to show up in the Apps section :)
    Lead Developer of Leroux
    edited January 2013
    Has anyone found an easy way to download APK files? Or has anyone gotten google play to work on it?
    Post edited by JCS on