Game Shelf - MultiEmulator Frontend UI

dra6onfiredra6onfire Posts: 91Member
I've been working on this for about two-three weeks now and it is just about complete. Please drop me a comment if this is a project that you are interested in.

What I wanted out of this was a clean user interface that can combine all of my android systems emulators into a single pane of glass. This makes the emulation experience as seamless as possible and allows you to use emulators that were sideloaded without having to jump down to the build menu. 

As a user, you have to install the emulators you want to use, configure the app with the directories that contain each systems games, and any BIOS that are required, and the app does the rest ... unless you named all of your games in insane ways, then you may have to be a little more proactive when the app is pulling the metadata.

The app uses intents built into the emulators to directly launch the selected games so the emulator has to be compatible. Right now all of the "oid" emulators are compatible as well as FPSE and EPSXE. I have been in contact with a few devs including those that have emulators on the Ouya and all seem open to the idea but I can't guarantee when the compatibility will be introduced.

Between this app and the autopilot app you should be able to turn your Ouya into a relatively seamless emulation experience.

The app will let you use one system of your choice fully functionally for free and if you like the feel of it and the performance, $1 will net you the rest of the systems you didn't choose for the demo.

Comments

• JesJHowardJesJHoward Posts: 6Member
    Not sure if you're the same developer for this or not (betting you are) but I am extremely interested in this project. This is exactly what the ouya needs for its emulation experience. I really hope you get this app on the ouya discover pane soon. Also, if you ever need a beta tester... =]
  • dra6onfiredra6onfire Posts: 91Member
    Haha that is awesome. That is in fact not my app. A name change may be in order. Mine is a slightly larger scope in that I intend to support as many emulators as are compatible and then continue to support it. It doesn't look like that app has been touched in almost a year.
    No, I don't think it has. Well, I'm really looking forward to your release. Any idea when you'll submit your build?
    The plan is to get v1 live this weekend
  • TomDotoTomDoto Posts: 5Member
    We're extremely interested in this app, too. We run a OUYA review site at http://dayoftheouya.com. If we like the app, we write a review.
    http://dayoftheouya.com - Game reviews for grown ups

=]
    edited July 2013
    Some updated visuals. Still on track to submit Friday night

Post edited by dra6onfire on
  • darksparckdarksparck CanadaPosts: 331Member
    whoa,  great project!
    Le Sparckman game dev tutorials
    http://sparckman.net/forum

edited July 2013
    I don't know how many people are interested in this but The default menu on launch will drop you into a combined list of ouya and sideloaded apps. Once I work out a way to effectively mine app descriptions, those will be added to the right hand pane but that probably won't be in version 1.

• LoeckeLoecke Posts: 30Member
    I like the look and idea.  WAF friendly emulation is important to me.  Sign me up.
  • darthrootbeerdarthrootbeer Posts: 1Member
    YES. 
  • ZetaphorZetaphor Posts: 1Member
    I just signed up for a developer account to tell you how excited I am for this application!
  • OrikuOriku Posts: 263Member
    edited July 2013
    Sounds cool :) but be sure to stay clear of including any copyrighted images in the apk itself or Ouya may not approve it.
    Post edited by Oriku on
    Thanks for the props. I hope you like it.

Thanks for the info. All copyrighted game covers are pulled on demand when you scan your game directories. The only graphics in the actual APK are those custom grayscale images I made for the config menu.
    edited July 2013
    By the way, since there is already a "Game Shelf" application, this app is being rebranded as:

• OrikuOriku Posts: 263Member
    How do I integrate EMUya with this?
    All you need to have is an intent built in that can launch a rom directly. If I recall correctly, your system is intended to support a couple of different types of consoles so each would need its own intent. Once you have intents and I define them in my app, I can launch users files directly on your software and when they exit yours with an exit hook (other than double tapping the menu button) they will be dropped back into my interface.

I could use an external tester BTW if you or someone else has time today

• DMCDMC Posts: 34Member
    Would it be possible for you to include an option to download certain emulators? Like a "Get N64 Emulator" button that downloads and installs an emulator for you. If you collaborated with other developers I think this could be possible. Not necessary, but certainly appreciated.
    I do my best.
  • TeslaTesla Posts: 1Member
    If you need a tester or anything, I'm free today and have very little to do.  

Cheers
  • zevindzevind Posts: 1Member
    Any intent on integrating with RetroArch? It's currently not on the ouya store, but can be sideloaded, and would emulate a ton of systems. Just a thought!

If you need any beta testers, please feel free to drop me a line!
    As far as downloading emulators, while it would be cool, some emulators have to be paid for, and some of the free ones, like retroarch have a problem with being part of a paid app. I have contacted the retroarch developer and have gotten permission to support the emulator by adding intents but nothing else because the developer is against users paying for emulation.It may be a potential option in the future when the app is more heavily supported but for the moment, I don't think I can add that.
  • evilbobbinsevilbobbins Posts: 1Member
    Looks like a damn nice fronted, the cover view with game info is a very welcome touch :)
    It going to be at least a few more days before this gets released. The game database I was using for this app went down today and I frankly have no idea if it is coming back. I am working on setting up a connector to a new source but it will take me a while and it will require some refactoring to allow the app to populate games into your menus even if all the sources fail. Thanks for being patient.
  • qardqard Posts: 7Member
    It'd be cool to eventually be able to download emulators as plugins so you don't have full app icons crowding the list when you don't use them. I think you can do that sort of thing with libretro.
    Ok, Version 1 of Nostalgia has been submitted to the store. (Not approved yet) It is not quite where I was hoping for for version 1 but I am moving in a couple of weeks and need to start packing up my house so I figured I would get it out there. I won't be making any changes for a few weeks during the move unless it is a serious defect preventing usability. If you find a defect or have suggestions or anything like that, please drop me a line at [email protected] and I will see what I can do.