Installing APK?

How do I install an APK on the OUYA console?

I've tried copying the APK to a USB HDD, but the OUYA console fails to recognize the USB HDD.

I've tried copying the APK to the OUYA console internal storage via USB connection with a Windows PC. I can copy the file to various folders, but I cannot make it appear anywhere where I can get it to install.

HELP!

Comments

• noctnoct Posts: 122Member
    Have you tried installing with adb?
  • SickheadGamesSickheadGames Posts: 6Member
    edited January 2013
    noct said:

Have you tried installing with adb?

No... it was my next step, but I cannot do that till tomorrow.

Still I would like to know:

a) How do I get a USB HDD to work with the console?
    b) Can I install an APK directly from a USB HDD?
    c) Can I install an APK copied to Internal Storage?

Post edited by SickheadGames on
  • noctnoct Posts: 122Member
    edited January 2013
    @SickheadGames, have you installed the driver using the instructions here?

Does copying to the Downloads folder not work? You can access it from the launcher under Devs I believe.
    Post edited by noct on
    I can connect to the console via USB fine and copy files to internal storage. That isn't my problem.

a) How do I get a USB HDD to work with the console?
    b) Can I install an APK directly from a USB HDD?
    c) Can I install an APK copied to Internal Storage?
  • BalbiBalbi Posts: 198Member
    noct said:

@SickheadGames, have you installed the driver using the instructions here?

Does copying to the Downloads folder not work? You can access it from the launcher under Devs I believe.

The "Downloads" app isn't the Downloads folder. It is merely the download history of the default browser.

Try uploading your apk somewhere, downloading it on your OUYA using the browser then launching from the Downloads app :P
    Lead Developer of Leroux
    Thanks Balbi.

So what I learned in 24 hours fighting this:

1. You need a signed APK to install it.
    2. You can download an APK from DropBox and install it.
    3. You can copy an APK to the Internal Storage via USB, but you can't seem to install it.

So the best path is always to install the Google USB driver and use their tools to deploy and install.
  • s_ds_d Posts: 16Member
    Yeah, I had this same experience, but was fortunate enough to figure it out in a shorter interval.  I used the keystore wizard to generate a bogus keystore (well, not bogus, so much as "test" quality, with one year timeout).

Then, I exported my APK and blasted it on with "adb install -r" (no emulator was running, so I didn't have to select the device).
  • HicsyHicsy Posts: 177Member
    - I haven't (yet) signed ANY of my APK's - so this is clearly not needed
    The correct adb procedure:
     1/ Install Java 6-32bit: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk6u38-downloads-1877406.html
     2/ download Android SDK Manager: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
     3/ Install & Run the mgr; equip API 16 as per OUYA manual, also the USB driver in "Extras"
     4/ locate+copy these 3 files in: android-sdk/platform-tools: adb.exe, adbWinApi.dll, adbWinUSBApi.dll
     5/ Paste copies in your APK directory !!NO SPACES in folders OR filenames!! <-crucial rule!!
     6/ Connect OUYA with Micro USB lead; make sure drivers install, if not google: "galaxy s3 drivers"
     7/
    Shift+RightClick in this folder -> "Open command window here"
     8/ *Make sure no emulators or androids besides OUYA* Type "adb install -r myapp.apk" [enter]
    *replace myapp.apk with your app name, don't include the quotation marks
    Your app will appear in Devs -> Software menu on your OUYA

I put my APK directory in C:\Android\APKs\   - The reason why this is recommended is it will speed up installs: just dump .apk in the folder and run the command prompt here! If the .apk were in a different folder to adb you would otherwise have to type (longer) full path names, and also having no spaces means you wont bump into problems later on if you need to rebuild as signed etc

TRUST ME ON THE NO SPACES THING!!! Java flips out if there are spaces, as do a lot of dev-tools

Can't find aapt.exe? Temp fix: Copy another one from 'android_sdk/build-tools/17.0.0' back to your 'platform-tools'
           -=Hicsy=-
    PM me        Facebook

as an alternate, drag+drop onto the chip via USB is fine, but you will need to use OUYA web browser to download an APK installer/manager... when you download one it will automatically ask to install intself, and then you will always have an app there to open, search memory for uninstalled APK's and manage them.
    Can't find aapt.exe? Temp fix: Copy another one from 'android_sdk/build-tools/17.0.0' back to your 'platform-tools'
           -=Hicsy=-
    PM me        Facebook

• aircasttsaircastts Posts: 1Member
    @Hicsy - what APK Installer / Manager are you using and did you use ADB to install this. 

@Ouya Support Team - I don't understand why Ouya is not supporting install of APK's that are downloaded via the browser and siting in the "Download History" list.  All my other Android devices support this and this would be a more convenient approach to quickly move files to Ouya.  Then I could simply email myself a APK an then download it.
  • JeffRandJeffRand Posts: 23Member
    I have not had any issues installing APK's. I just click on the link for the APK. The browser downloads the file. Then I go to Manage..Advanced..Storage Then I scroll to Downloads and select it. It lists the APK's I've downloaded. I then select the one I want to install, and it prompts me to install it. It works great! I did this to install the Amazon App store.  By the way, the Flixter app from Amazon works fantastic on Ouya and it doesn't force you to use the touchpad. I watched one of my UV movies last night.

@aircastts K.I.S.S - stick to vanilla baby!
     I just use the standard ADB toolset that downloads through the standard android SDK manager. There are plenty of tuts out there on ways to use ADB... I will put up some on a site for everyone in a couple weeks that I made for my OUYA testers, add me on facebook or just keep checking my OUYA profile I will probably add a link when it's up say, end of June?

As JeffRand suggested there are many tools out there to help you manage your .apk installs from the android device itself (in this case, OUYA) but I think the OS infact DOES perform installs automatically when you download an .APK so if it's failing it could be for a different reason
     . - maybe there is already another app installed with the same bundle identifier (although this would usually replace it and continue)
     . - maybe you were previously using a process that was handled not by android OS per-se like, perhaps the Samsung launcher running on top of most androids might use an install manager such as KIES... If this was the case (most likely scenario) then the OUYA which is ALMOST a va'nilla install, would obviously not have that 'streamlined' tool, you might just need to adjust your methods slightly.
           -=Hicsy=-
    PM me        Facebook

• nytenyte Posts: 1Member
    edited June 2013
    I am trying to use the browser method, when I navigate to storage, there's a bunch of items that are immediately hidden from the list (they render, then disappear) -- Downloads does not show in the list...

UPDATE: I rebooted and it's showing up now.
    Post edited by nyte on

Glad to see you got it working. I see a lot of people resorting to other methods to download and install APK's when the built-in menus will do the job. No need to use USB or other tools. You can also delete files from the storage menu by checking the checkbox next to the item and selecting the trash can icon.

• BobmaniaBobmania Posts: 25Member
    There has to be an easier way to do this, I'm not going to take 30 mins every time i want to test my apk on the ouya.
    What are you doing that takes 30 minutes?
  • KonajuGamesKonajuGames Posts: 550Member
    @Bobmania You do realise this thread is really old, and that full development guides are in the docs?