Hack to access OUYA from Windows

SkyVuSkyVu Posts: 7Member
Hey all. I read the instructions on how to get started with OUYA on Mac, but I prefer a Windows machine. Well, I decided to attempt getting adb to recognize the OUYA, but it wouldn't. My fix was to add the hardware device IDs to
android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf

Under the [Google.NTx86] section, I added the following lines:

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&REV_0232&MI_01

Then I went into the device manager (Control Panel>System>Device Manager), updated the driver for the unrecognized hardware, browsed for the android_winusb.inf file, and installed it using ADB Interface (Not composite). Now I can type adb shell and get into the OUYA system.

Hope this is useful to some people.

-Marc Cohen

Comments

• SkyVuSkyVu Posts: 7Member
    Here's a little clearer explanation of exactly what I did to install this:

I went into the device manager (Control Panel>System>Device Manager). I right-clicked the unrecognized device, clicked update driver software, browse my computer for driver software, List devices, click "Show All Devices", select ADB Interface (if that isn't there, select Android phone), then look for "Have Disk" and browse to the .inf file. Continue installation. It may take a while for it to complete, but it's okay. After that, the OUYA should be recognized by adb.

Thanks,

Marc Cohen
  • Shiny_Box_LLCShiny_Box_LLC Posts: 9Member
    Tip of the hat to you sir!
    Worked like a charm! Thanks again
  • SkyVuSkyVu Posts: 7Member
    Np. Glad I could help.

-Marc
  • ZeroDependencyZeroDependency Posts: 27Member
    Hey, this worked for me, although I had to leave the settings in the INF file as they were else Windows (Win8-x64) complained the file was corrupted. I have successfully been able to 'adb install' onto my Ouya now
  • BalbiBalbi Posts: 198Member

Hey, this worked for me, although I had to leave the settings in the INF file as they were else Windows (Win8-x64) complained the file was corrupted. I have successfully been able to 'adb install' onto my Ouya now

Could you go into more detail about what you did to get it working on Windows 8 x64? It keeps telling me that the driver isn't for x64 :-/
    Lead Developer of Leroux
  • adgezazaadgezaza Posts: 2Member
    edited January 2013

I had the same corrupted error and was unable to install even as is. Was there anything else you did?
    Post edited by adgezaza on
    I was sure to have UAC turned off when I made the changes. I didn't have any corruption issues. I am running Win 7 64bit professional
  • ZeroDependencyZeroDependency Posts: 27Member
    edited January 2013
    Balbi said:

Could you go into more detail about what you did to get it working on Windows 8 x64? It keeps telling me that the driver isn't for x64 :-/
    adgezaza said:

I had the same corrupted error and was unable to install even as is. Was there anything else you did?
    You should see an Unidentified Device in Device Manager (probably showing as Cardhu).

1. Right-Click, Update Driver Software...
    2. Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"
    3. Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
    4. Click "Have Disk..." (there may be a step before this similar to "Show All Devices")
    5. Browse and Select the .INF file ({ADT}\sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf)
    6. Click ok.
    7. Select the ADB Interface (not the composite one)
    8. Finish the Wizard.

This was all I needed to do, then calling "adb devices" from the command line shows my Ouya console.
    Post edited by ZeroDependency on
  • oliwoliw Posts: 2Member
    In step 4 i selected 'next' on the existing Google driver instead of 'have disk'.
    Windows recommended not to install the Google driver, but it worked..
  • adgezazaadgezaza Posts: 2Member
    got it, thanks!
  • terrykim426terrykim426 Posts: 27Member
    I think I made a mistake selecting the composite on Step 7 previously. After my workstation restarted. My ADB couldn't detect Ouya at all. And I tried uninstall the driver and re-install as per instruction here:

You should see an Unidentified Device in Device Manager (probably showing as Cardhu). 1. Right-Click, Update Driver Software... 2. Choose "Browse my computer for driver software" 3. Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" 4. Click "Have Disk..." (there may be a step before this similar to "Show All Devices") 5. Browse and Select the .INF file ({ADT}\sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf) 6. Click ok. 7. Select the ADB Interface (not the composite one) 8. Finish the Wizard. This was all I needed to do, then calling "adb devices" from the command line shows my Ouya console.
    I'm stuck at step 6 now. It no longer show the page where "Show All Device" were, and it just complaint with the same error msg as to Balbi's.
    Balbi said:
    My OS is Window 7 x64 though.

Is there anyway I can get past that error msg?
    Dusty Revenge
    Programmer from PD Design Studio
  • jtn0514jtn0514 Loganville,DCPosts: 142Member
    Im running win7 64bit and was able to get it working just fine but selected android phone instead of ADB prior to selecting the location for the driver (inf file)

• GaslightGamesGaslightGames Posts: 149Member
    Thanks for this SkyVu - the OUYA was showing up as a Storage device and one could browse/copy files etc, but not see it through ADB.

This fix worked a treat... although one could probably have used jtn0514's fix (post just above), but didn't try it.
  • WillzZzWillzZz Posts: 26Member
    Thanks a million for this. Just got this set up in 5 minutes thanks to the help on the forums.
  • MommysBestGamesMommysBestGames Posts: 56Member
    Thank you! Got it running because of this. In the 'Show All Devices' step, I didn't see the ADB or Android phone choices, so I didn't pick anything. Just picked 'Have Disk' and found the inf file and it worked.
    -Nathan, MBG Twitter
    Check out Pig Eat Ball on Facebook!
  • MidoBasimMidoBasim Posts: 45Member
    Thanks! I got it to work using those steps.
    One thing that I encountered on windows 8 x64 is that it won't accept any android_winusb.inf file. It has to be the one in your android-sdk folder.

• zeStudiozeStudio Posts: 5Member
    Thanks SkyVu, you're a champ!
  • UltimateWalrusUltimateWalrus Posts: 14Member
    Worked great.  Thanks!