Installing Plex or XBMC

WTFGamerWTFGamer Posts: 0Member
edited April 2013 in General Discussion
I've done a search and I can find no information on how to install a media player. I expected them to be in the apps folder, but the closest I could find was the Twitch player. Can anyone provide some advise? I've got the .apk. Looking for something step by step.
Post edited by WTFGamer on

Comments

• rumplestilzkenrumplestilzken Posts: 181Member
    Plex will be available on launch from what I understand.
  • greeniekingreeniekin Posts: 92Member
    you can side load XBMC.
    On the ouya browse here and download the apk.
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152005

Then install the apk.

The advantages of this build is that it has hardware acceleration compared to the other android builds. For better performance.

For me I can not use the touch-pad in xbmc or it crashes. Plugging in a usb mouse was needed to type in network info like password.
  • HicsyHicsy Posts: 177Member
    with the latest OUYA firmware and the latest stable release of XBMC you largely dont get the keyboard crash anymore

either way team XBMC are going to also support with a newer app around launch
    Can't find aapt.exe? Temp fix: Copy another one from 'android_sdk/build-tools/17.0.0' back to your 'platform-tools'
           -=Hicsy=-
    PM me        Facebook

• Skywalker993Skywalker993 Posts: 6Member
    edited May 2013
    Just installed XBMC from greeniekin's post, and the touchpad is working fine. Not much else is mapped, just D-pad, A, and O. I'd love to have L/R for seeking, D-pad for volume and audio sync.

If you're having trouble finding the .apk, from the OUYA main menu navigate Manage > System > Advanced > Storage > Downloads. After installing, you'll find the program in Make > Software. Actually, took me a while to even find the browser :P cuz it's in Make > Software, not Apps.

Also, 1080p across WiFi is running smoothly with great audio sync. I'm very excited to see a version with mappings and acceleration optimized for OUYA. Already it seems to be a great media hub, with Windows Sharing (SMB) working without a hitch (unlike my old AppleTV via LAN).
    Post edited by Skywalker993 on
  • gnomekingofpaingnomekingofpain Posts: 4Member
    edited May 2013
    Installing XBMC from the browser worked pretty smoothly but I have been Largely unable to test out XBMC itself. I have been finding it almost impossible to get XBMC to see my USB thumb drives (all FAT32), or at least any files that are on them. I would think my Ouya's USB port was bad, but I did get XBMC to acknowledge, see, and play video files from one of my thumb drives once. I have followed the same steps endlessly but have yet to get that thumb drive, or any other, to work again.

The thumb drive is now being seen occasionally. Usually after rebooting the Ouya a couple times. The same issue is popping up with my other apps, so I do wonder if it is related to the USB port. I suppose the question becomes, are all the Ouya USB ports temperamental, or just mine. As dependent on external storage as the Ouya will inevitably be, I find this to be a significant concern.

That said, XBMC is running surprisingly well for an alpha build. 

Post edited by gnomekingofpain on
    Installing XBMC from the browser worked pretty smoothly but I have been Largely unable to test out XBMC itself. I have been finding it almost impossible to get XBMC to see my USB thumb drives (all FAT32), or at least any files that are on them. I would think my Ouya's USB port was bad, but I did get XBMC to acknowledge, see, and play video files from one of my thumb drives once. I have followed the same steps endlessly but have yet to get that thumb drive, or any other, to work again.

The thumb drive is now being seen occasionally. Usually after rebooting the Ouya a couple times. The same issue is popping up with my other apps, so I do wonder if it is related to the USB port. I suppose the question becomes, are all the Ouya USB ports temperamental, or just mine. As dependent on external storage as the Ouya will inevitably be, I find this to be a significant concern.

That said, XBMC is running surprisingly well for an alpha build. 

I formatted my 30GB USB drive to NTFS so I could hold large .mkv files and I'm not having any trouble. It's just a little weird to find it in XBMC because of Android. When adding a source for media: Root filesystem > usbdrive.

Another note on XBMC usage... you can't manually set the clock, so you have to make sure your Android settings are correct to get the right time in the app. OUYA > Manage > System > Advanced > (System) Date & Time. BlueBoard from OUYA > Discover > Apps is a must! for using XBMC or even the browser, turning your tablet/smartphone into a bluetooth keyboard.

My biggest problem is that I can't import my video library from my PC. Export works fine, but Import doesn't see the required XML file, just the art folders. Anyone with experience know a work-around?
  • SerteleggerSertelegger Posts: 1Member
    I've been using the Gotham Alpha 2 with libstagefright build for a while now and can't wait for them to come out with a newer Alpha or Beta build. There is a Gotham Alpha 3 for Android already but without libstagefright so no hardware acceleration.

Playback works for the most part but I'm having a lot of issues where playback suddenly stops at some point and when I try to play the file again and resume from the point where it stops XBMC hangs and I need to turn off the OUYA completely to get it working again. On those files seeking also doesn't work at all.

On most other files seeking will cause XBMC to either stop playback or crash completely, so the best option is to start from the beginning and hope it makes it through the file.

I also installed the Netflix APK but with the controller not being able to emulate a finger swipe gesture navigating the UI is very limited. You can only scroll up and down but not sideways, and in pop-ups for example to pick an episode for a tv show you can't navigate at all. Also absolutely no functionality other than stop during playback, you can't pause, skip, or do anything at all.

As glad as I am that I got my OUYA already everything feels so unfinished that I might as well wait until everybody can buy it hoping that the software updates that fix all those bugs are out by then :-\
    @Skywalker993 It took me a bit to figure out the USB drive via root filesystem, but the real issue was that nothing was popping up even when I followed all the right steps. For no apparent reason, however, The Ouya has switched to seeing my thumb drives just fine for the last couple of days. The issue was not confined to XBMC either, I tested a few of the emulators that allow USB access and had the same issues. Now they all work fine as well. Very strange. I believe there was an Ouya update, but the timing does not quite match. Blue Board would be awesome if my personal tablet was not an IPad. I have been considering picking up a Nexus 7 to play with so maybe this will push me over the edge. I have had good luck with 1080p .mp4 playback. I need to load up some 10bit .mkvs and see what happens. I'm real curious to to compare how Plex is going to compare. I've generally stuck with vanilla XBMC since I have been using it since the days of using modded XBox's as media centers.
    @gnomekingofpain I still think it could be a formatting issue. A few other people on forums and YouTube are having trouble, and they're all using FAT32 drives. Those of us that reformatted them to NTFS have no issues that I've seen.
    @gnomekingofpain I still think it could be a formatting issue. A few other people on forums and YouTube are having trouble, and they're all using FAT32 drives. Those of us that reformatted them to NTFS have no issues that I've seen.
    I've seen some similar concerns but all my home computers are Macs, so NTFS is a pain. I need to reinstall a Windows 7 partition anyway, but that involves finding time to clear a bunch of hard drive space. And if the issue is FAT32, then the Ouya team needs to sort that out quick. Too many drives come FAT32 for that to be a fail point on the Ouya. I'm already concerned that expandable memory for the Ouya is something they decided to sort out after shipping the Kickstarter units.
  • JDubbJDubb Posts: 4Member
  • darciliciousdarcilicious Posts: 1Member
    If you're a PlexPass member you can install the latest version of Plex running on Keppler.

Instructions here: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/68564-how-to-install-plex-kepler-client-on-ouya (note: for step #2, use the trackpad on the controller instead of connecting a mouse)
    Has anybody tried to plug in an external DVD drive to see if XBMC on the Ouya will recognize it and the files burned on a DVD?
  • sn0wtansn0wtan Posts: 1Member
    you can side load XBMC.
    On the ouya browse here and download the apk.
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152005

Then install the apk.

The advantages of this build is that it has hardware acceleration compared to the other android builds. For better performance.

For me I can not use the touch-pad in xbmc or it crashes. Plugging in a usb mouse was needed to type in network info like password.
    I made a simple install guide (w/ pics; i like pics) and linked a working apk on http://sideloadonouya.com/2013/07/xbmc-on-ouya/ and i haven't had any issues with the touchpad so far.  I've only used xbmc for simple streaming, so the controller has been good enough so far..I'll update it if i do run into issues though.
  • santiagocasiassantiagocasias Posts: 1Member
    i have an ouya console but i cant download jtv on it can anyone help?